O Muse, grant me the eloquence to explain what I feel, think, and decide in my journey. And grant others the ability to make sense of the rambling.

Monday 16 July 2012

Hekate's Deipnon

Hekate's Deipnon takes place during the dark phase of the moon: the end of the lunar month (any time before the sliver of the new moon has been sighted).   Hekate, according to the Liddell and Scott Greek-English Lexicon, means "bringer or giver of light" ('Ekate phosphoros).  At the darkest part of the month, we prepare our homes for the transition to a new month. Hekate's Deipnon is a time of purification of self, home, and affairs. (Source here)

So reading up on Hekate's Deipnon or 'supper' I've got the general gist that it's a general cleansing of the home and the self. Sweep out the old in readiness for the new, as would be logical with the end of the Hellenic month.

What will I be doing for it? Seeing as I have nothing to directly give away or a food bank close by to donate to, (and with finances being tight) I will just have to concentrate on a more homier ritual which will probably include;

  • Cleaning and dusting my bedroom.
  • Hymns to Hestia, Hekate and my ancestors.
  • Pouring a libation when I can sneak outside.
It may not be anything fancy or as 'big' as I would like but it's something that I can do in my current situation and as much as I'm researching Reconstructionism, this path that I'm concentrating on is about my relationship with the Theoi and what I can learn from it.

I'm currently reading A Beginner's Guide to Hellenismos by Timothy Jay Alexander and he makes fairly firm distinctions about a Reconstructionist and a Hellenic Pagan, and as much as the strict adherence to the ancient rituals and rites attracts me, I don't think that it is entirely...me.

No comments:

Post a Comment